This is one of my favorite projects. I try to do this project with my students each year as a final project for them to showcase what they have learned in art throughout their elementary school years and create a project that I hope they will keep for a lifetime. It is also one of the longest projects of the year because of all the areas we cover.
- Portraits in Art: We start off by looking at portraits in art and how the artist use the elements of art to tell us something else about the person.
- Proportion: We look at proportions of the human body.
- Measuring with a ruler: We take time out to review our measuring skills by having a group ruler challenge to see who has the best measurement and craftsmanship skills.
- Positive Self Image: They also take some reflective time to think of the positive aspects of themselves that they may want to convey in our self portraits. (See Self Portraits Part 1)
- Time Management and Independence: For this project they have use of the artroom and must make their own artistic decisions and the best use of their studio time.